Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Sister Kathie Lee-Semple McPherson

Sister Kathie Lee
"SCANDALOUS" the new musical about the life of the 1920's and 30's evangelist and media celebrity Aimee Semple McPherson is poised to open on Broadway, with the book and lyrics  by the bewildering TV personality Kathie Lee Gifford. So when Ed Johnson, the design director at the NY Observer asked me to create a cover image to run with their interview with Ms. Gifford and an article about the show, morphing Kathie Lee into "Sister Aimee" made the most sense to me. 

Sister Aimee sermonizing to an admirer

Read the full Observer article here: 
http://observer.com/2012/10/praise-be-kathie-lee-delightfully-ditzy-daytime-queen-puts-the-fun-back-in-fundamentalism-with-preacher-feature-scandalous/
My rough sketch placed in the layout
the finished cover

1 comment:

  1. Geez, that's a beautiful illustration, but it's for a show I wouldn't go near with a ten-foot pole. If "Book and lyrics by KLG" didn't keep me away, the tagline about putting "fun" in fundamentalism surely would have. I'd rather save my shekels for The Book of Mormon. At least that one was created by folks with satire credentials. (BTW, Laurel & Hardy toss off a Sister McPherson joke in You're Darn Tootin', believe it or not.)

    ReplyDelete